Nosework is a fast growing sport around the globe and in New Zealand. There are currently 2 organizations that run trials for scent work: Scent Sport Association NZ and Dogs NZ
Nosework can be done by any dog: young or old, big or small. No obedience required!
Your dog will lead the way with his powerful nose to find a target odor.
Please send an email via the contact page to find out when the next class starts.
My journey with scent work began early 2014 when in my role as conference organizer for the Association of Pet Dog trainers I suggested to invite Jill Marie O’Brien to New Zealand to speak for us. Jill Marie is one of the 3 founders of K9 Nose Work from the US where it all began.
In June 2014 the APDTNZ hosted a successful 3 day conference and the seed for the sport was sown in New Zealand.
- March 2015 I attended ‘Super Sniffer’ training workshop by international scent detection work expert Debby Kay (USA)
- June 2019 I came across Dave Kroyer’s (USA) method of scent work training and finally all the questions I had were answered! I am following his protocol in my classes with great success.
- October 2019 Steve White (USA) 3-day seminar
- January 2020 I attended a 2-day workshop by Steve Austin.
- June 2020 I received a certificate from The School of Canine Science for successfully completing their ‘Scent for Six’ course.
- December 2020 Dogs New Zealand Scent Work Shop
In my day job as a dog walker I have always been in awe of the power of the dogs’ noses. I have never been keen on dog sports until Nosework came along, to say I am hooked is an understatement. The first dog that I trained, Mila now has her Novice Nosework title and Dusty will be trialing soon too.